It seems like all my favorite stories start out with the iconic "Once upon a time...."
Or something that's a very close equivalent but, you know, I'm not gonna be picky with my favorite stories.
I've wondered more than once If my life story, with or without that particular beginning, would be something anyone would bother reading. It sure does have all the right elements...a beautiful princess, a handsome and daring prince, mortal peril, slay-able dragons and......whaidaminute. I think that was Sleeping Beauty.
Let's see.....what DO I have here?
A beautiful princess. I've never though of myself as a particular beauty, but a certain fellow I know tells me more than anyone deserves how stunning he finds me. In pajamas, with messy hair, over a cooking dinner, at the grocery store, at church and even while cleaning toilets. Yup. I guess if he thinks I'm a beautiful princess, I must be.
A handsome and daring prince. I remember the first time he flashed me that dazzling smile of his...it made the souls of my shoes reach for the ceiling. Every day he dares that nasty world out there with more courage and dignity than I could manage. Somehow he manages to come home to me still flashing a smile that makes me weak at the knees. Handsome and daring? Absolutely.
Mortal peril. Have you been on the highway recently?
Slay-able dragons. It's not that big of a stretch to make my prince's boss a dragon, but that's just too easy. How about two kids in diapers at once? How about making 40 dollars a week feed a whole family? How about making those everyday, irritating and constant concerns something that don't beat you down and make you forget that you are really royalty. Better dragons aren't found on page or screen in my opinion.
So......
Once upon a toenail, there was a fabulous base coat. Upon it rested a shimmering ruby layer of glory that was the throne of shining gold and green flowers. And a diamond jewel. And the beautiful pedicure was strong and powerful and lasted for two and a half weeks. And the Spring was lovely because of it.
And the toenails (and their owner) lived happily till the next coat.
Because I am a Princess.
4 comments:
You need to start posting pictures of your toes. What you described sounds so pretty!
You know Erin, I think you'll be the only person I know who will truly appreciate this: I just got some nail polish at Fred Meyer. They were on sale, and they're called Sinful Colors. One of them is this beautiful burnt orange color (not quite brown, but not a bright, or a dull orange.) I love it! It's the color I'm going to put on my toes when we go on our California vacation, because it makes me feel that cool.
So now, after that, I'll actually comment on your post. I think you're beautiful, and your two little princesses (although they're both in diapers) are also very pretty. Oh, wait, they were the dragons.
I'm glad you're happy even though things might not be where you want them to be, and that you realize that even though things aren't perfect, you can still have a fairy tale life and live happily ever after.
Erin, send me your email address so I can invite you to my blog: tallialewis@gmail.com
You ARE a beautiful princess, and a wonderful writer! Not to mention a great friend. I miss you.
Post a Comment